Friday, April 09, 2010

Stephanopoulos Makes a Fool of Himself

George Stephanopoulos is not a fool - but he can't help behaving like one sometimes. In this exchange, President Obama demonstrates that not every dog must be wagged by the tail end of our national intellect.
STEPHANOPOULOS:I want to get to some of those broader issues [of nuclear proliferation]. Because you're also facing criticism on that. Sarah Palin, taking aim at your decision to restrict the use of nuclear weapons. Your pledge not to strike nations, non-nuclear nations, who abide by the nonproliferation treaty. Here's what she said. She said, "It's unbelievable, no other administration would do it." And then she likened it to kids on the playground. She said you're like a kid who says, "Punch me in the face, and I'm not going to retaliate." Your response?

OBAMA: I really have no response. Because last I checked, Sarah Palin's not much of an expert on nuclear issues.

STEPHANOPOULOS: But the string of criticism has been out there among other Republicans as well. They think you're restricting use of nuclear weapons too much.

OBAMA: And what I would say to them is that if the secretary of defense and the chairman of the Joints Chiefs of Staff are comfortable with it, I'm probably going to take my advice from them and not from Sarah Palin.

STEPHANOPOULOS: But not concerned about her criticisms?

OBAMA: No.

Bravo, President Obama. Bravo.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Busplunge said...

I am beginning to lose faith in Stephanopoulos as a journalist, I think he needs to be writing for people magazine, you know the article you can read in the length of time of an average...Big Chill.

Remember his not following up on Rudy's no attacks on American soil during Bush years? then this.

Oh George, we had such high hopes for you.

4/09/2010 9:53 PM  
Blogger craig said...

You make me giggle.
You act as if Stephanopoulos ever had credibility.
That is just funny stuff.

4/11/2010 10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan, George is just practicing the same lame brand of liberalism that you practice: Pretend that both sides deserve equal respect.

I might run for the office of Mayor on the grounds that I oppose TIF give aways, but then I vote for TIF give aways -- but because I speak out against TIF, I should be seen as opposing TIF.

There are certain things and certaint commentators who are just wrong. You and George need to learn the same lesson.

4/11/2010 10:25 PM  
Blogger jamielandes said...

It might be nice to have a president who addressed the point (that unilateral disarming invites an attack) instead of making it into a childish bit of celebrity posturing. I do not think Obama came off at all admirably in that exchange.

4/12/2010 2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Swinger:

Nobody is unilaterally disarming. Dumb point. Really dumb point. I don't think you came off at all admirably in your comment.

4/12/2010 4:20 PM  
Blogger les said...

Well, if MoSwinger prefers a prez who rewards proud ignorance and wastes time attacking straw men set up by half-baked celebs, there's certainly a political party happy to provide a contender...or perhaps, like TIDOS Yankee, MoSwinger thinks the former half term governor is an expert on nuclear arms, having "commanded" the Alaska National Guard.

4/13/2010 8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home